Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hello World!

I am one of the lucky students that are participating in GSoC'08. I am very glad to be here.

My name is Vladimir Škarupelov. I am studying computer science in the University of Tartu (Estonia) for a last bachelor's year. This year I plan to became a master student of the University. So this year will be very very special for me =).

So the topic of GSoC work is performance profiling and optimizations of sip-communicator. During the past several years SIP Communicator has been growing as more and more features have been added to it. It is reached a point where a performance is becoming critical and time is ripe for a good deal of profiling to take place. During this project SIP Communicator will be monitored a lot, a number of profiling tests will be performed on it and in accordinance with good programming practices laggy code will be rewritten (optimized) and then finally tested. After optimizations Sip Communicator will perform faster and feel more snappy to the users. Found performance problems and solutions will be collected and then given out to the Sip Communicator contributers.

This blog is suitable for collecting all the project related stuff, for instance collecting "time expensive" code snippets or something like that. Here in the blog I will publish the current status of the project and describe my next steps for a week.

Current Status
I have already profiled sip-communicator with hprof and jhat

Next steps
Profiling with eclipse and netbeans.
It is needed to know the good and bad sides of the profiling tools to start working on the project.

1 comment:

Benoit Pradelle said...

Hi vladimir ! I can finally see your blog, so good luck for this project and for your work this week :)